Let’s create two more simple questions. First, let’s ask if our participants are employed.
- Click the Response Options tab. Notice the response options tab is different from the way it appeared the last time we looked at it. When we created the age question as a text box, we were allowing participants to type in a response. Now we are creating a “Select One” question, and we have to define a set of options from which participants can select.
- Keep the default “Whole numbers” as the data type.
- Under “Add/Edit Response Option“, you’ll see two text boxes separated by an equal sign (=).
- Type the number 1 in the box on the left side of the equal sign, and then type “I am not currently employed” in the box on the right side of the equal sign. Click Add.
- The Response Option you just entered appears in the list of response options with a value of 1 and a label of “I am not currently employed.”
- Type the number 2 into the text box on the left side of the equal sign, and “I work part time” in the text box on the right side. Click Add to add the option to the list.
- Follow the same steps to add a response option with the value 3 and the label “I work full-time.”
- For option 4 enter the label “Other”. Checking the Text Field box next to the Other option will add a text box after the Other in which the respondent can specify the Other.
Note: If you have a long list of response options, rather than typing them in one by one, you can use the Import from Clipboard function to copy the list onto your clipboard from another document, and then have the Import function populate the entire scale with one click. To try this, copy a long list from a word document using cntrl+c. On this tab pop open the Import option and select Import from Clipboard.
- Click OK. The Question Editor closes, and you will see your new question in the survey editor, just below the age question.
- Let’s also add a question about gender.
- Choose “Select One” as the display type, and type “What is your gender?” for the prompt.
- Click the Response Options tab.
- Choose “Whole numbers” as the data type.
- Under “Add/Edit Response Option“, add the following response options:
- 1 = Female
- 2 = Male
- Go to the Date Dictionary tab and give this question the unique id “GENDER.”
- Click OK. The new question will appear in the survey designer.