Illume‘s survey search capability relies on surveys being organized into a set of categories. If a category/value system has not yet been set up to organize the surveys, See Understanding Search Categories and Values for an overview.
To search for surveys, follow these steps:
- In the Illume Survey Manager, click on the Survey Administration tab.
- Click the Survey Search tab.
- From the Survey Status list, choose which surveys to search through. This can be either “AllSurveys,” or only those surveys matching in a specific state, such as “Published” or “Available for checkout.”
- Choose a category from the category list.
- Choose one or more values from the value list. Notice that the contents of the value list changes whenthe category changes.
- Choose either is or is not from the list of conditions.
- Click the Add button to add the conditions and values to the search criteria.
- Repeat steps 4-7 to add criteria to the search.
- Select And or Or to group the criteria (details below).
- Click Search.
After clicking Search, the Search Results tab will appear with the results of the search.
Grouping Criteria with And / Or
- When grouping search criteria with ‘And’, it is telling Illume to create a list of surveys that match ALL of the criteria specified.
- When grouping search criteria with ‘Or’, it is telling Illume that to create a list of surveys that matches ANY of the criteria specified.
- While ‘Or’ searches generally return a broader range of results, ‘And’ searches return a very specific set of results.
In some cases, there is a need to use both ‘And ‘and ‘Or’ conditions in a single search. It is possible to do this, to a limited extent. Notice that when checking more than one value from a category’s value list (as described in step 5 above) and clicking the Add button, the values appear on a single line in the list of criteria, and they are separated by ‘Or’. It is possible to add several sets of values in this way. After adding all of the sets, choose ‘And’ as the group option, it will create a set of criteria like this:
Target is Widget Customers or Gadget Customers
And Author is Kevin McHale or Lamar Mundane
The Survey Search tool will include only values belonging to a common category in these one-line ‘or’ conditions.
Restoring the Survey List
After running a search, the survey list will display only those surveys that met the criteria. To restore that the survey list so that all surveys appear:
- Go back the Survey Search tab.
- Click the Clear All Criteria button.
- Click Search again.