There are two options for translating the package:
- The xml file or files that were just created can be sent to a third-party translation service, which will insert the translations directly into the xml files.
- Translations may be entered by your own staff using Illume’s Translation Tool
Using the Translation Editor
To translate a survey using Illume’s Translation tool, a Translation package must first be created, as described in “Creating a Translation Package”. Once the Translation package has been created, follow these steps to open the translation editor:
- Click the survey to be translate in the DatStat Illume Survey Manager’s list of surveys.
- Choose Translate / Package… from the Translate menu.
- Click the “Open Package” button at the bottom of the Translation Editor.
- Choose the Translation package wanted be to worked on and click Open.
The Translation editor displays the contents of the Translation package, and provides features for translating text while maintaining attributes such as font color, bold-face and underlined text.
The bottom half of the Translation editor displays all of the unique text strings in the source language. Translations appear to the right of the source language strings, in green type.
To translate text from the source language to the translation language:
- Click the text to be translated in the list in the bottom half of the Translation editor. The source language appears in the top left text box. The translation appears in the top right Text/HTML editor. If the text has not been translated yet, the same text will appear in both text boxes.
- Click in the Text/HTML editor in the top right corner and edit the text as one would in Microsoft Word or another word processor. If comfortable editing HTML directly, the user may click the “Source” tab and edit the HTML source.
NOTE: If formatting is lost while editing the translation, simply highlight the text and use the buttons beneath the Text/HTML editor to re-apply formatting. Note that the original text, with formatting, is always displayed in the top left editor.
- Click “Save Translation” to save the text that was just translated.
- Choose a new string to translate using the “Previous” or “Next” buttons, or by clicking on the text in the list. Then repeat steps 1-3.
- To save the work, click “Save Package…”, then click “Save” in the file dialog.