Multi-control questions and question tables are unique from standard questions in that users must not only define the display through the question editor, but must also define Preload/Hidden variables for each field within the multi-control object.
- From the Survey menu select Preload/Hidden Variables
- Click Add
- The Unique name should match the Variable names or Prefixes used in the Control Type Configuration
- If creating a Single Question or Text Field Row Prompt, the Hidden Variables should have the same name as the Survey Variable name used for the cell or field.
- If creating a Question Table, the Variable Prefix and the number of rows will determine the Variable Name. (e.g. prefix=”Q_” and there are 3 rows). This will require the creation of 3 Hidden Variables (Q_1, Q_2, Q_3), which correspond to the number of rows that are in the table.
- Select the Value Type as either Single-Value or Multi-Value(Check All). If creating a Single-Value type, select the Data Type as well for the field.
- Keep the Default Value as None
- Enter a Prompt Description of the field. It is important to use a meaningful description, as this description will be in your data dictionary
- Click OK
- Repeat Steps 1-9 for each field in the Multi-Control Question/Question Table
If a Check All Question is being used then Click on the Scale tab and Name and Display Text for each response.