Renaming Multiple Questions
To rename a several questions at once, follow these steps:
- Select the collection or the group of questions to rename in the right pane of the Survey Designer.
NOTE: To choose multiple items, hold the Control key and click each item individually. Holding the Shift key while clicking selects every item between the first and last items selected.
- If the selection includes collections that contain items to rename, check Include items within selected collections.
- Choose the types of items to rename from the list of checkboxes. Notice that checking and unchecking different options causes the items to appear or disappear from the Rename Summary at the bottom of the Rename dialog.
- Follow the Steps in Renaming Options to change the Suffix or Prefix of the questions.
- Click Generate Names to preview the changes. The Rename Summary list at the bottom of the dialog shows the new names that will be applied to each of the selected items. Scroll down to see the entire list if it is a large list.
- Prefix will add whatever prefix specified to the name of each item that appears in the Rename Summary list.
- Suffix will append whatever suffix specified to the name of each item that appears in the Rename Summary list.
- Name applies prefixes and suffixes to the current variable names that appear in the Rename Summary list. It is also possible to replace text within existing variable names when this option is chosen.
The Generate sequence option will replace the current names in the Rename Summary list with a customizable alphabetic or numeric sequence. Prefixes and suffixes will be applied to the letters or numbers of the sequence.
- The Adjust Current Name fields appear only when the Use current name option is chosen. Illume will replace the text typed into Replace with the text typed into With in all of the names listed in the Rename Summary list.
- The Sequence options appear only when Generate sequence is chosen from the Name list. The Numeric option generates a numeric sequence starting with the number in Start sequence with and using at least the number of digits specified in Minimum digits. (Illume adds leading zeroes until the minimum number of digits is satisfied.) The Alphabetic option starts an alphabetic sequence starting with the letter you specify in Start sequence with. When using sequences, any prefixes and suffixes specified will be applied to the sequence.
Undoing a Rename Operation
As noted above, Illume does not actually rename any items until the Rename button has been clicked.
To undo the changes, choose Edit Undo Rename Items from the Survey Designer menu, or press Control-Z.
The Undo the renaming operation will not work after performing another undoable action such as Spell Checking or Find and Replace.